Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Purgatory

Per L-Squared's last post, I think most people would agree that dating in our generation is complicated. Dating in NYC might be even more so...

I have been seeing a guy for a few months now and this past weekend we finally started to talk about our level of dating... uh oh. GULP.

The last time I talked to a guy about that he ran away, and started dating his coworker. Fail.

Well, this time it wasn't so bad. We know we are a level beyond the early dating stage, but we are not quite at the level of a relationship.

You know where you can't make out with random dudes at the bar or that hot guy on the 4th floor because you might actually like this one...where you overlook anything bad because all you can see is the person's amazing side...where you only dip your toe into a serious conversation before changing the subject to something positive....

So what the f%#! do you call this stage?!? Datingship?! Purgatory? Inbetweening?!?!

We decided we needed to do the world a service and actually define our situation, however, we couldn't decide on a proper word to define it.

I think it's most appropriately referred to as "purgatory" because you are either heading to heaven or hell in your dating life. Though apparently there are no mimosas in hell so we had better keep things moving the other way.

He preferred to call it "in-betweening", which I thought was pretty good, but not quite enough to describe our situation, and also could be misconstrued as something inappropriate. (Yes, there's a reason that they call me Dirty D. My mind is in the gutter most of the time.)

"Hey LD, is that your boyfriend." -friend
"NOOOO. We're just in-betweening." -LD

That just sounds wrong.

SOOO... in a true effort to figure out what to call it, I am polling my friends and now the online community. Once we figure out the right word, we're submitting it to http://www.urbandictionary.com/ so that no one else ever has wonder what to call it.

Submit your ideas NOW (or cast your vote...for purgatory) and help us clear things up for the rest of the dating confused!

-LD

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I have been pondering this ... but spent my creative-brain-cell-quota for the week trying to think of a new skeeball team name for me and Mad.

    I'll get back to you ...

    ReplyDelete